Photocentric3D LC 10"

Here is my first print with this printer. Literally plug and play with the latest dev version. I even put the home gcode in the header for a push button print. For this I just did a regular photo print with edge detection turned off since they were already black and white. I did notice that both of the ghosts detached prematurely from the base and one of them slid enough to cause a misprint. Other than the detach, the printer was a dream!

This is my second print. This was printed direct from an SVG file exported from a gear builder. It also started to break free from the platform, but it finished in time to turn out pretty well.

Hi Wes!

Cool to see your prints in here! Things I would advice to improve your succes rate are :

• I implemented the slower speeds on bigger build area slices. This values aren’t tested very well so it might need to be set to even slower on this bigger area’s
  • I normally use the rule that my build base plate (so the first layers off my print) should be bigger than any other slices build area, this works fine for me but for such parts that’s more difficult.
  • Rehome it manually before printing so you sure the buildplatform is 100% paralell to the screen
  • Make sure your build platform is 100% clean
  • You can lightly sand paper your buildplatform to improve adhesion, this will also make it harder to remove the parts.

Hope one of the tips help :)!

Also if I look at the gear picture it seems as the foil wasn’t 100% flat. I would check this too because it will improve print quality ;)! (you see bit of a wringle in the part)

Your right it wasn’t flat, but the problem is because I dented the foil on the bottom of the vat and caused a bit of a ripple.

@Robin - has there been some improvements on this project? :slight_smile: I haven’t tried it out yet, but I’ll do so in the coming days :slight_smile:

What would you like improved? If it’s a small feature, we can throw it in.

@Friborg Currently the normal Photonic3D works totally fine with an LC 10" and it prints stable due to the great help of @WesGilster . Alongside this, Photocentric is working on a variation of Photonic3D which can turn your LC10 in a more standalone printer.

This software will work on a raspberry pi with touchscreen. From the touchscreen you can control the printer, move it up and down etc. Furthermore the software has been simplified for use on Photocentrics printers.

Currently the software is being tested in house, the github fork can be found here : https://github.com/Photocentric3D/Photonic3D

Currently even the stable repo has some issues, these should be resolved soon. When we feel confident to release this we will also offer very cheap complete kits for the LC10 to convert it into an standalone printer. These should/would be even cheaper than sourcing your own parts. So keep an eye on the website!

Ofcourse the software itself will remain free and opensource just like Photonic3D. And everyone who would like to is more than welcome to help contribute on the stable Photonic3D fork or on the specific Photocentric fork. Just create a pull request :)!

1 Like

@WesGilster Would it be possible to share your LC10 settings here - i´ve tried for some days now, but I can´t get my LC10 running with Photonic3D… I´ve selected your "LC10.js file, but the Display is just 0:0,0 and I still can´t figure out what to set up at “Serial Port”. Automatic recognition is obviously not working.

BR, Ralf

these are all the settings set for the LC10 to make it work properly : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Photocentric3D/Photonic3D/master/host/printers/photocentric%2010.json

You don’t need to fill all the options. you should just select the display (0.0) and set the gcode to recognize 3dprinter firmware automatically. The other fields need no input.

Let me know if that helped!

Many thanks, @Robin. Maybe a newbie question, but how to import this js. file ? There is already a LC10 Jason file in the Image, but this seems not working, since the printer isn´t recognized…

When you first started up Photonic3D from scratch, it should have said something to the effect of “Don’t have a printer installed? Try one of these:” and one of the options was the LC10. Did this not work?

Unfortunately it´s not fully working. When I switch on the power on LC10 and then refresh the browser with the interface I get the the “Printer List” and “Photocentric LC10” is there, but the interface shows me the “moving circle” indicating that I have to wait… There is the possibility to “start” the printer with the button, but if you try to use the controls, you will get an overlay, that the display couldn´t been recognized.

The LC10 works with Win 64 CWH Software, so we can asume that the printer is OK.

It has to be something with Printer configuration, but unfortunately the interface do not provide much possibilities to choose Setting manually. However, I´m not sure if every setting would be right then.

I´m not a Linux guy at all, would need very basic instructions…

Help is really appreciated now.

You’ll need to take a backup of your system with “Download” button located at the bottom of any window that you are on. In the dev version, there is a button pointing down:

I’ll take a look.

Thank you, @WesGilster

Looking forward to get this working!

LogBundle.zip (32.0 KB)

I should have known immediately on your first comment what the problem is without your logs, I just wasn’t careful reading. After choosing to install the Photocentic LC10, you should have just stopped right there and not touched anything.

When you fiddled with the serial port settings you chose an option to communicate with a projector over the serial port. You don’t have a projector so you can’t communicate to that projector over serial.

For your display you should have left it with “:0.0”(that’s the name of the linux screen). “Last Available Display” would have worked fine as well.

I’m assuming you were looking for the Raspberry Pi displays which are not available because the image you started from doesn’t have the Dispmanx drivers installed.

Hmm…

What I actually did was:

Both installation showed more or less the same behavior. In one of the installations I was indeed asked “Don’t have a printer installed? Try one of these:” and only LC10 could be selected.
In the other installation were different Printer types to choose from.

As far as I remember I did initially NOT touch any setting for display; I startet playing around BECAUSE the setups were not working.

But I´m quite happy for your support and will try to do a new, clean installation again.

Could you please just tell me, what image makes sense for me to use?
Are there potential issues I have to take care of during or after installation?

Many thanks!

BR, Ralf

I understand. I don’t maintain those images and I don’t have much faith in them having everything properly installed in the OS. They do actually work, but certain options aren’t available as you have just seen(Direct Raspberry Pi screens for jessie). If you aren’t interested in that they will work just fine.

Depending on screen size, you may have to perform a calibration, but generally the printer configuration should work out of the box. If not, repost here. :slight_smile:

Hello All,

Sorry to bump a really old thread, but I’ve recently got my hands on a LC 10" and would love to use it with a Raspberry Pi set-up however I’m having trouble with the included links in the thread.

I can install it on a Raspberry pi fine and control the printer but the screen doesn’t seem calibrated to the correct resolution as the parts I upload look the wrong shape.

I hope someone can help?

Thanks,

James.

Hi guys,

this is my first thread here.
I am using an LC10 too, it worked soso with using the last free version of CWS.
As it needs permanent PC connection I would too like to enable it wireless with an RPi.

Basically Photocentrics so calle WiFi Enabler as far as I undestood is nothing more than an RPi 3 with the RPi Foundations 7" Touch on the MIPI DSI port, which connects to USB and HDMI on the printer for Control and Pixels, running a branded/modified version of the Photonic3D Software.

I’ve been playing around with an RPi 3B+ I have here (no Touch Display yet) with a Noobs Raspian. Beeing pretty new to Linux RPi Community the RPi worked ok once wireless and I even can control Photonics3Dinstalled on it remotly from a remotedesktop under W10.
I can even control the Z Axis with it.

Unfortunately I do not see a Printscreen on the LC10s screen just the Raspian X on teh printer 10"…

Questions I’d have:

• is the KDE lite browser REQUIRED for the operation of Photonic3D?
  • Does Dual screen setup (both Displays outputs - DSI Touch and HDMI printscreen) REQUIRE both screens to function correctly and will the missing touch DSI prohibit Photonic3D from functioning?
  • Can - except the DSI 7" Touch RPi screen - any othe touch TFT be used like those 3.5" SPI based screens (given the display contend is routed there correctly and not to the DSI Port)

Thanks!

PS: basically a precompiled image liekthe printflow one the Photocentric WifiEnabler or LC HR would be great. Not necesserily with that same but a similiar look…